Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Theres no *I* in Team, NOT FOR TEAM STEVE! Steve and Shell Paying It Forward!

(Composite From Team Steve)

What is the best advice (Pay It Forward Style) you could give a photographer starting out in the business?
Team Steve: I still see myself as a pretty new to the business, so I’m always learning. That’s the first thing I’d have to say. Never stop learning, never stop educating yourself. There are hundreds of seminars out there, get to them. And this is my ‘weak’ point. Not being able to devote full time hours quite yet, I am ‘stuck’ with reading all the magazines and scouring the Internet for all I can learn on posing, lighting and new ideas.Get solid on the basics. When shooting something where the results are of the utmost importance, then is not the time to be wondering what to do and get stuck in a situation you can’t get out of. Know your equipment. With so many different cameras out there now days, they are all different and capable of different things. Know what your capable of, with the gear your using. Being able to deliver when it matters is what separates and hobbyist and a professional. If you want to be called a professional, then be willing to do what it takes to meet those ‘requirements’. If not, your doing an injustice to the industry.

Piece of equipment you just CANT live without?
Team Steve: Hopefully a camera is a given? After that I would say reflectors and panels. We have learned a lot about using them in the last couple years. Nothing beats natural light. And when doing outdoor sessions, with reflectors you open your world beyond your wildest dreams. I still get excited when we pull out the reflectors at a killer location. The light isn’t quite what we need, and we are able to ‘find the light’ with the reflectors. Amazing how something so simple can turn a wasted shot into one of your biggest sellers.

What’s three things you keep at your desk while you work?
Team Steve: I keep my headphones close by, so I can listen to music off Napster. My smartphone, because my life is on it, and right above my desk is my list of goals written out.

Shell says, she has to have her lotion, chapstick and a large Diet Coke on her desk at all times.

Your favorite quote?
Team Steve: One of my favorites would have to be:
“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” Ansel Adams

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.” Sun Tzu

Shell’s favorite is:“Poor planning on your part makes not an emergency on mine” -unknown

Favorite technique you enjoy doing in photoshop?
Team Steve: I have very little PS skills, so this is all Shell. She likes when we get composite orders. There are so many different things you can do. Clients seems to just expect a few image just slapped on a blank sheet. When you really put together something that is out of the box and you see the look in their eyes when they see if for the first time. You can tell it is something then never would have expected. It is a very rewarding part of this job.

Whats the most craziest wild thing Team Steve has ever done?
Team Steve: Signed papers just today to start building a new studio. Crazy you say? Well, yeah, we keep our fingers crossed we can continue to grow, and be successful the way we have been so as to make sure we can make that studio payment.

Links:
Steve Harrington Photography

http://www.steveharrington.net/

And......Team Steve paying it forward
Heart Brushes~~!

Link for download:
http://www.gigasize.com/get.php/-1100224662/SH_Hearts.abr

*Thank you too Team Steve for the brushes and Interview! Congrats on your studio endeavor and good luck from Paying It Forward!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Signed papers just today to start building a new studio.

OMGosh. Can I just say about time! I'm so thrilled for you guys. Go TS! We'd better be getting regular updates. ;)

And Shelly, those hearts are way cute!