Tuesday, May 22, 2007

We got the interview, Pay It Forward Style (of course) with Mike Fulton From TRICOAST Photo!














What is the best advice (Pay It Forward Style) you could give a photographer starting out in the business?
Mike: Without a doubt ETHICS. Too many new photographers are using others work in their business cards, websites and other marketing material in order to try and get that jump start to their business without the owner's permission. To many new photographers only think of themselves and not the business and do not realize the damage they are causing. I am a STRONG believer that by sharing you gain more and learn more and become a better photographer, if one remembers to always keep their ethics and share when and where they can your business but more importantly your life will be that much stronger!
Piece of equipment you just CANT live without?
Mike: Minus my camera of course, I would say our flash units. I can create light or more importantly shadows anywhere I want at anytime of the day, anywhere in the world and since we travel alot with our international weddings the flash units are a must have.
What’s three things you keep at your desk while you work?
Mike: Im really a basic kinda guy when it comes to processing and working. I have a TV so I can stay in touch with the world, my duel montiors so I can work/color correct on one (tube monitor) and then an LCD with the websites/forums on it so I can take breaks and play. Finally, a webcam so I can stay in touch with my clients and friends around the world and conduct business meetings with companies throughout the US.
Your favorite quote?
Mike: I have several I try and remember when I work:
1. Our lives are not determined by what happens to us, but how we react to what happens; not by what life brings to us, but by the attitude we bring to life. A positive attitude causes a chain reaction of positive thoughts, events, and outcomes. Its a catalyst...a spark that creates extradordianry results.
2. Learn to embrace change, and you'll begin to recognize that life is in contant motion and every change happens for a reason. When you see boundaries as opportunities, the world becomes a limitless place, and your life becomes a journey of change that always finds its way.
3. Enjoy the flavors of life, take big bites, moderation is for the monks!


Favorite technique you enjoy doing in photoshop?
Mike: Don't know if I have a favorite technique but I enjoy sharing my processing style with anyone, it is the main reason why I developed our Finding Color Processing DVD showing all the TriCoast "secrets" to our processing. Here is a quick image on how you can make a not so nice image into a keeper with just a few simple and easy steps which anyone can do.
Orig. Image is from the Biltmore at the Coral Gables just outside of Miami.
DATA INFORMATION:Exposure: 1/15 second at f/2.8Exposure Mode: ManualExposure Program: ManualISO: 3200Focal Length: 200mmLens: 70-200L IS f/2.8Camera: EOS-1D MarkII
Step 1 - Here is the orig. image opened up in Photoshop CS-2 Bridge, NOTE all settings are set to "0" on the sliders

Step 2 - I cropped the orig. image to an 8x10" format to give strength to the couple and converted to B/W using Bridge by lowering and rasing the Contrast and Saturation Sliders and then adjusted the Exposure and Shadows to suit my personal likings, then also changed the tint just a tad, again just personal likings
Step 3 - Opened up image in Photoshop from Bridge then applied Noiseware Professional filter to it, HOWEVER NOTE these might not be the actual settings I used on this image I just took a screen capture to show you what I did. So play with the settings until you get the look you want/like
Step 4 - Applied my "TriCoast Glow" action to the image to give more of a soften/glow look, which is almost on all of my images in one way or another.
Thats it, 3 mins at most. I never spend more time on images for the most part, I believe in workflow and not workslow so for the most part these little things is all I do to my images.
Hope these steps help you guys out and let me know if you want more of this kind of thing.
Again I am a strong believer in NO SECRETS so if you want to know somethign just ask, I am a simple person who enjoys this art with a huge passion, I gladly let it control my life, it truly makes me a better person. The places and people I have seen and meet just by having a camera is amazing, from countries all over the world to some of the best people right in my tiny little home town, this art is truly amazing.

Website: www.TriCoastPhoto.com
Educational Products: www.FindingColor.com

New Educational Book "Mastering Digital Wedding Photography" where TriCoast was picked to be the US Wedding Photographers to be a part of the book. Mark Ridout is another photographer of the 4 in the book.

1 comment:

Suzy Min said...

wow, look at you stud!! :) great interview!! and i can't wait to see that book!!!