Thursday, May 31, 2007

Its Electric.....Rachel W. from Elentári Designs, Paying it Forward Elentári Style!

PIF:What is the best advice (Pay It Forward Style) you could give a photographer starting out in the business?
RW: I can think of a few things, actually. I'd probably say to make sure you're legal before you really get going. I so often hear of photographers (even ones who've been running a studio for years) who don't have business licenses or who aren't collecting sales tax. That can really come back on you later and sting, so it's best to get it done before you start rather than to have to go back and possibly even pay fines and penalties later.

Educate ourselves on copyright laws and respect them. We can't expect our clients to know, understand and respect our copyright if we don't understand or respect it ourselves. We also need to take measures to educate our clients about it. It's so easy for us to forget that before we started we knew little about copyright law; similarly, clients often don't know anything about it. Having them to sign a copyright agreement isn't enough. We need to go over it to ensure they're going to understand the implications. If someone is going to violate it, they'll do it regardless, but we can curb much of it by educating because most people are inherently honest.

Finally, be confident in our ability and offerings. I hear so many photographers say that they can not charge $xxx for this or that because it's just too much. If you are starting a business you will soon realize that cost of printing isn't the only cost you have. There are a lot of overhead and other expenses and if you want to stay in business for very long, you must not only produce quality work, but also be comfortable with that work and your prices. It's the difference between being a hobbyist who charges and being a professional.


PIF:Piece of equipment you just CANT live without?
RW: Aside from my cameras and lenses, I'd have to say Photoshop and my tablet.

PIF: What’s three things you keep at your desk while you work?
RW: A large display clock because I always lose track of time when I'm working. A few photo books and mags just in case I need to stop and have some eye candy inspiration. And h2o-- a girl's got to stay hydrated.

PIF: Your favorite quote?
RW: Not sure if it's a quote, but I don't create images to show you the world the way it is; I create images to show you the world how I want you to see it.

PIF: Favorite technique you enjoy doing in photoshop? (this could be a tip to the pay it forward blog readers on how to do something in photoshop if you don’t have a favorite technique)
RW: One thing I really like doing with photos is making a nice, rich, deep b&w. It doesn't work on all photos-- it has to be a somewhat dramatic image to begin with that needs or already has a lot of contrast, but a quick gradient map layer adjustment followed by a curve adjustment can really make a photo a dramatic b&w.

PIF: What do you do in your spare time?
RW: I take photos. ;) heh Besides being what my occupation, it's always going to be my most favorite thing to do in my free time. I really enjoy reading as much as I can make the time for it, globe trekking, piloting and I'm a bit of a gamer too.

PIF: Favorite picture that you took?
RW: Wow, that's a toughie. I don't even know that I have a favorite and my favorites change all the time. One of my favorites is a live show shot I took. I really love concert photography-- the lighting is amazing while also being very challenging. This is bassist, Mark White, of Spin Doctors.













Links:

www.elentaridesigns.com

And she is sharing a family template!




Link to download:

http://www.gigasize.com/get.php/-1100248818/rwardfamily5x7.PSD

*Thank you Rach W. for PIF!

No comments: